Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Where to Live in Belize? Placencia




Placencia has some of the best beaches on the mainland and a growing expat community.  16 miles of  beaches located on a peninsula with the Caribbean Sea on one side and lagoon on the backside, about 120 miles south of Belize City..  You can snorkel here but for the best  snorkeling you will have to take a boat out to the reef or to one of the small offshore cayes, a 10 to 20 mile boat ride.







Land on the peninsula is low-lying and flat.  You can see the Mayan Mountains to the west. The average temperature in sub-tropical Placencia is 80 degrees Fahrenheit and the average humidity is 83%.  Generally the dry season and the most popular time to visit is January through May.  June, July, October and November are typically the rainiest months.  Rainstorms are usually short, but very powerful.







Most foreign residents choose Placencia for its low stress attitude.   The atmosphere is laid-back and focuses mainly on fishing, boating and other activities on the water.

8 comments:

  1. Nice Placencia pictures, looks very peaceful there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, it is very peaceful there and very beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I miss Belize - I was there in October.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So do I Christy. I am so tired of looking at cloudy, cold weather. Give me warm, sunny BELIZE.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What's the water like? The first picture looks a little dark and murky.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The water is actually very beautiful in color. But there is lots of seagrass near the shore. You don't have the waves in most areas because the reef blocks them. Placencia does have some waves because the reef is further out.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My husband and I are thinking of moving to Placencia, but I have been a little skeptical of living in another country. I have been trying to do as much research as possible before we even visit down there. I keep reading things like crimes that happen there, which makes me even more nervous. I realize there is crime all over the world. I just do not want to get into a situation I cannot get out of. I have been trying to find someone to talk with who actually lives there so I can find out what it is really like to live there and not just what you read by tourists.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lilzookeeper, if you will email me I will give you two contacts that currently live in Placencia. My email address is
      dmilst8043@aol.com

      debra
      http://takingbelize.blogspot.com

      Delete

Leave a comment "dear friend"