Tuesday, January 18, 2011

A Lesson in Heat: Touring Marie Sharp's Factory in Belize

We love hot sauce

We love hot sauces and we really like Marie Sharp's hot sauce.  Looking forward to checking out the Marie Sharp's factory in Belize.

A Lesson in Heat: Touring Marie Sharp's Factory in Belize

by kelly on
marie sharp's hot sauce belize
Hi, my name is Kelly, and I'm addicted to hot sauce.
When I left for Belize in early December, I didn't anticipate bringing home anything with me other than a suntan. Instead, by the end of the week, I found myself with a huge crush on the habanero, particularly in the form of hot sauce made by Marie Sharp. Good thing a visit to the factory was on my itinerary.
As our van bumped steadily through the fields, we saw small habanero plants as far as the eye could see. I peered out the window to see if I could spot an orange or purple pepper on the vine, just like the ones I had seen in piles the day before at the farmer's market. But, we passed by too quickly and before I knew it we had pulled up to the front of the Marie Sharp's Hot Sauce factory. I soon learned, that my eyes had not deceived me and that Hurricane Richard has taken care of the harvesting the month before. Not to fear, I was assured, there was still plenty of hot sauce to be had and the warm Belizean climate would soon remedy the pepper shortage. I wasn't sure what to expect when we walked through the door's of the factory and an unassuming woman greeted us with a handshake and said "Hi, welcome, I'm Marie Sharp, it's so nice to meet you!"

marie sharp hot sauce belize dangriga
"Marie Sharp?" I wondered to myself. "There's really a Marie Sharp? It's not some fictional character made up by a corporation to sell hot sauce?" Marie Sharp's hot sauce had been on every table I'd encountered since arriving in Belize four days prior. I'd sprinkled it over my eggs, into a hot bowl of shrimp soup and timidly to the side of our chicken when I first encountered the "fiery hot" variety. With a presence like that, I expected big business. I never expected to meet the woman responsible for concocting the hot sauce recipes that have become Belize's national condiment.

2 comments:

  1. I looove Marie Sharp's! We bought 4 bottles to take back to the states. We still have 3.5 left, hehe

    ReplyDelete
  2. We do too..I just finished off a bottle today...I am getting low..gotta stock up again soon.

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment "dear friend"