Monday, May 9, 2011

Belize has the Second Largest Barrier Reef in the World

One of the main reasons we chose to retire to Belize was the great Barrier Reef. We love being near the water and being able to snorkel. Belize has the second largest Barrier Reef in the world, making it a sanctuary to a wide variety of marine wildlife and plants.

The reef is home to over 70 hard coral species, 36 soft coral species and 500 species of fish. Today only about 10 percent of the species have been discovered in the reef, while the other 90 percent is still being researched.

The Belize Barrier Reef is a series of coral reefs straddling the coast of Belize. The reef is an approximately 186 mile long section of the 560 mile long Mesoamerican Barrier Reef System. It is Belize's top tourist destination popular for scuba diving and snorkeling.

Reef Etiquette
  • Never take anything living or dead out of the water.
  • Do not touch or handle marine life unless you are with a knowledgeable guide.
  • Never feed marine life.
  • Never touch corals. 
  • Do not chase or try to ride any marine life.
  • Look, enjoy, but don't touch.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment "dear friend"