Monday, March 21, 2011
The Do's and Dont's of Expat Life in Belize
Before you get all caught up in the idea of moving to your tropical paradise, you may want to consider a few things first.
1. Go to Belize for a long visit, live like a local, rent for at least 6-12 months before you decide to buy something.
2. Do not try to duplicate your lifestyle back home, you will not stay in Belize if you do.
3. Be prepared for a little "culture shock". You may first think Belize is like home, but it really is not. Belize time is slow and easy going.
4. Don't limit yourself to the local expat community. Be open and friendly to everyone, get to know the locals. They are an interesting group of people.
5. Belize is an English speaking country, but they still have local lingo. Get to know some of the local lingo and have some knowledge of Spanish or Creole.
6. Volunteer and become involved in the daily life of your new community.
7. Remember you are considered a wealthy foreigner and may be targeted for scams and theft. Be alert to these type things.
8. Enjoy your new retirement home in Belize and all that it has to offer.